What you'll need:
- Clean, empty recycled cans
- Hammer and nail
- Seedlings (or seeds and soil if you're starting from scratch)
2. Use a hammer and nail to make several small holes in the bottom of each can. I did three or four on each of mine.
3. Fill the bottom of each can with small pebbles, just one layer deep, to help the soil drain well.
4. Gently transplant your seedlings into the planters. (If starting from seed, fill the planters with soil and plant your seeds now.) Water and care for them as suggested, depending on what you're planting. I chose Red Russian kale and Sugar Star snap peas, both of which like full sun.
5. Put them somewhere special so you'll see the cheerful plants every day! I put ours on our front porch all in a happy green row. Remember, with the holes in the bottom, they may leak when you water them, so if they're inside make sure they're on saucers or dish towels to catch any spills.